Wednesday, August 18, 2004

What I'm Watching

Fox Searchlight Pictures - Garden State

Check out Garden State. I saw the cast on Charlie Rose, and I thought the story sounded great. The trailer also had me interested, but I had this nagging feeling I might be the victim of a hype campaign. I mean, it's the first movie of a moderately successful sitcom actor; who had complete control of the movie including the final cut.

Go see it.

Ignore the comparisons to The Graduate and similar nonsense. While this is a rite of passage movie and yet another love story, it really speaks to a prison-break of whatever fucked-up reality you find yourself in.

I can imagine if I was still in my 20s this movie would be one of my "greatest of all time." I won't say that here (there is a final confrontation scene between father and son that didn't work for me on any level), but off the top of my head I can't think of a better character-driven movie I've seen this year.

All that, and it's funny, too.

No comments: