Monday, May 09, 2005

What I'm Watching

Check out Crash at your local theater. It is one of the best movies I've seen in some time, certainly the best of 2005 at this point.

I felt as impressed after viewing as I did following American Beauty. Yes, there is some required suspending of disbelief for the large cast of characters to bump into each other at the end; but it is done extremely well. The only time I was really jolted into thinking a scene was really forced is when the last of the "good" characters goes "bad."

The film is heavy on relationships and racism; but it is very believable and doesn't openly send any "message." You know at the beginning who the jerks and the innocents are, only to have them reversed throughout the film. Well done, with only a touch of "overdone" for my taste.

I'm impressed with writer Paul Haggis, considering this follows his Million Dollar Baby. Looks like his next project, The Last Kiss, might be another winner for the hat trick.

No comments: